Thursday, July 9, 2015

Back to the Bridge

I've really been pushing myself to complete the truss bridge especially now that the stream bed and surrounding scenery is taking shape. Both trusses are now complete and attached to the bridge deck. I was pleased with how well the painting of the lattice work turned out.  I was concerned that the interior portion of the lattice beams would be the color of the white Evergreen styrene, but that wasn't the case at all.  I was able to angle the tip of my airbrush sufficiently to paint mostly all of the interior space.  A few hard to get places will need some touch up with a brush, but overall I was pleased.

With the trusses installed it has become quite an impressive structure and incredibly strong. I don't think there'll be an deflection to worry about and all of the joints appear to have bonded well.

It still has a bit more work especially on the upper sway bracing. Fortunately Plastruct makes a diagonally braced styrene joist that is the proper dimension for the sway bracing.  That being said, it'll still be a challenge because the they not only extend perpendicular to the panel points, but diagonally in an X pattern between them.

Nonetheless, I'm pleased with the progress and it looks rather different than it did a few months back.  Here's a photo from my September 11th blog post.  I never thought that it would ever progress this far considering all of the exhaustive scratch building.

No comments:

Post a Comment