Tuesday, October 13, 2015

A Visitor Comes to the Elmira Branch

I recently installed a WOW sound decoder with Keep Alive in a friend’s South Wind Harriman 2-8-0. He purchased the engine second hand and the previous owner had modified it into a Rio Grande looking 2-8-0. The Rio grande never had anything that even remotely looked an SP 2-8-0 especially one with a Vanderbilt tender. Oh well! My friend wants it back in SP livery.

I installed the decoder, keep alive unit, and speaker in the smoke box and directed the sound up the stack. There was adequate room for the electronics without having to remove any of the boiler weight. It seemed to work out really well and except for the backup light no wires extend between the cab and tender.  I was thoroughly impressed with the WOW decoder and really liked the Keep Alive feature because it requires that you actually apply the brakes when you need to stop the engine.  The sound is really incredible as well.  A bass reflex speaker would make it even better, but I was limited to what would fit in the smokebox.

While I had the smoke box front removed, I put the headlight back to where it was on the SP version (centered on the smoke box front), and removed as much of the Rio Grande Lettering as I could.

I doubt that SP 2-8-0s ever ran on the Pennsy, but this little engine sure looked good hauling a cut of reefers across Seeley Creek. As for me, any future steamers running in the Elmira Branch will get the WOW sound decoders. I’m not sure that I’ll go that direction with diesels yet.  I’m rather firmly entrenched in the Tsunami camp right now.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob:
    Found your blog from your comments about water on the S Scale Yahoo list. I have been reading all the posts - thanks for sharing. You are doing a wonderful job with your layout and it’s inspiring.
    I too am a fan of Mike Confalone, and have recently been enjoying his series on weathering showing on TrainMasters TV
    As you may know from my posting on the S scale SIG, I did an extensive review of the TCS WOW sounds steam decoder with Keep Alive. It is a fantastic decoder and my go to choice for all steam decoder installs.
    I am working on a review of the diesel version - I just installed a diesel WOW in a River Raisin SD9 but have not had a chance to try it out on a layout. However, my work bench tests are promising.
    Thanks again for sharing.
    ~ John
    Sscale.org

    ReplyDelete