Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Progress

Before the railroad can advance too far, walls need to go up and and the basement perimeter needs to be insulated. My first thought was to just paint the concrete basement walls and build separate backdrop panels above the benchwork. But, the New England winters really chill the basement, so if I wanted to have a comfortable place to run trains and enjoy the hobby, then insulation is what's needed. The first task is to stud out the perimeter walls, run electrical, insulate and then cover everything with drywall. A real chore, but certainly worth the effort. And, not something that I would want to do after the layout was built.
The overall space is 40-ft. by 32-ft. and I'm approximately one-fourth complete with the most difficult wall studded out.






1 comment:

  1. Bob, I have found the worst part about building walls is the next to final step--taping and spackling. I never quite got the knack to do that task. I hate it soooo much. I love those S-Helper switchers with the sound. They are real gems. I also use Tamalco flex. It is really good looking track, and is easy to work with. Some day soon I think I'm going to attempt to build a turnout, or two.
    Good luck with your layout. S-Scale rules!

    ReplyDelete