Saturday, June 6, 2015

Back to Working on the Seeley Creek Truss Bridge

After quite some time I returned to working on the bridge over Seeley Creek.  From my earlier post you may recall that the bridge floor system is made entirely of white Evergreen styrene.  This week I painted the floor system black and weathered it with Bragdon weathering powders, and I must admit that it looks rather striking. The photo shows it just before adding the bridge timbers.  I cut the bridge timbers from 5/32" x 5/32" basswood (10" square in S Scale)  the bridge ties were then stained in a solution of India ink and denatured alcohol to give them a nice weathered look.

Next the ties were glued to the bridge deck with Walthers Goo adhesive.  I spaced them 9" apart and every fourth tie or so I used a square to make sure that there were square with the deck. I then used a notched file card to gauge the overhang distance from the deck beams.

I also used a 7" x 9" switch tie as a spacer to gauge the distance between ties.
















Here's the completed bridge deck.  The blue tape marks the center of the bridge and the location of the base of rail for spiking down the first running rail.

No comments:

Post a Comment