Monday, April 27, 2015

Photoback Drops and Scenery

Up until now all the photo backdrops that I've done have been experimental.  After looking over several series of photos that I took back in the Fall, I chose some that would work at the south end of the yard where the wall is very close to the yard ladder.  This is also where the wall juts out around the utility chase.  Because the wall is so close to the foreground, the perspective had to work well.  The above photo shows the finished background and how it blends into the foreground trees and ground cover.  Compare this scene to the one in my previous post.  The Chapel Lumber building is sited in the same location, but looks completely different with the backdrop and surrounding foliage.  

Here's a view looking the other way.  Compare this view with the one from my March 18th post.  It's essentially the same view.  In the above view you can hardly tell where the reverse curve is along the background wall.  The tree cover helps hide the location where the wall juts out.

Here's a close up of the tree cover in front of the backdrop.  All of my trees are made from natural plant materials found locally or in my garden.  From left to right, the first tree is made from a sea lavender armature covered with stretched fiber foliage material.  The bare trees are from a boxwood shrub that had some bad winter damage and lost all its leaves.  The low shrubs are dried sedum that turns a reddish brown color in late Fall.  The yellow trees are from a house plant called dwarf cypress.  The plant is bright green when healthy but turns golden yellow when it dies. My wife was upset when we lost the plant and set it in the garage for me to dispose of.  After a couple of weeks of sitting there (sometimes I'm glad that I procrastinate) I noticed that the foliage turned a golden yellow color and I knew it would make nice material for a Fall tree.  The spiky branches were gathered into a tree shape and wrapped with florist tape at the base.  Some yellow ground foam was sprinkled over it and was held nicely by the spiky branches.  The large tree on the right was also made by gathering sedum plant stalks and taping them again with florist tape into a tree shape.  The tree was then covered with the reddish brown fiber foliage material.  Woodland Scenics green clump foliage material was used to make the short evergreens and low ground cover.  The floor of the forest was covered with ground up oak leaves that were processed in a blender.

This photo shows a close up of the finished weather track.  It clearly shows the variations in the ties that were being painted in the previous post, and the use of powdered weathering material to create the rusty appearance on the rails and tie plates.  This is the process that Mike Confalone uses in his "Scenery Outside the Box" DVD series available from Model Railroad Hobbyist's on-line store: http://store.mrhmag.com/index.html  I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. Bob,
    What a difference! So far the perspective looks good from the camera angle. It that the same as your own viewing angle? I guess I don't have a good feel as to the layout height. Your forest floor is a welcome touch. It is surprising how many don't put that down. Where was the photo taken? Just curious to see if I might remember.
    The dry colors on the rails are great and a necessary part of your weathering process. The foreground track is extremely well done. I can almost hear the rails creak when cars pass.
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben

    What you see is very close to the normal viewing angle. The photo series was taken close to my home in nearby Hamilton MA. The field was actually a soccer field and I had to hide a soccer goal that appeared in the photo behind some of the trees. Thanks tor the great comments. I'm pleased with how things are turning out. Next I'll add done static grass to the scene.

    ReplyDelete